Disclaimer: This blog was written at a significant delay (November 2018). As in, the delay was so significant, that I don’t feel that I can accurately represent our time at this location in story form. So, I am just going to post photos I captured here and then ramble about some of my clear memories of the place via some bullet points.
How did I get so far behind? Well, there was a summer visit from a nephew, and also a giant party in Rochester that needed to be planned for. But, also, if it comes down to blog writing or sleep – I will always choose sleep. So anyways, back on the blog game. But in abbreviated form until I catch up to the present day.
After ditching Dyna for nearly two weeks while we spent time in our hometown areas of NY, we decided to ditch her just a little bit longer and drive the Jeep down to the Winston-Salem area of North Carolina for a few days. Jake’s BFF Scott was about to be surprise birthday partied by his fiancé and we were not about to miss that. There also happens to be good beer in the area, so even if we did consider missing the surprise birthday explosion, we could have been coerced to the area by that.
Notes regarding our 5 days in Winston-Salem celebrating Scott:
- Scott appeared very surprised. And confused. Other than that, he remains his typically scoundrelly self – but apparently Jake loves a good scoundrel.
- Nicky planned a full afternoon of drinking and eating and made the most incredible snack mix ever which included Cookie Crisp cereal and animal crackers and which we carried around with us all evening so we never got hungry!
- We imbibed at Small Batch, Wiseman & Joymonger’s
- We met Adam & Diana, who are friends of Scott’s from his Rochester times, and we decided we liked them.
- We re-met Scott’s Asheville crew, who are all cool, and who we had briefly met when we were in Asheville last year, and we decided we still like them.
- We re-met Scott’s family, and met Nicky’s mom and decided we like them and we don’t understand how Scott is part of them because he’s not as cool (written by Liz who is always skeptical of Scott).
- We spent some time walking around Old Salem, eating tacos at Crafted (my taco taste buds say ‘yes’), and playing video games at a kind of weird video game bar where I learned Nicky is a master at Ms.PacMan. As in, she’s creepily good at eating the fruits and not getting eaten.
- We spent most of the rest of our time sleeping in Scott & Nicky’s guest room, lounging on their couch, working from their kitchen table, and generally enjoying their company and food as we proceeded to eat them out of house and home until Scott’s actual day of womb ejection occurred.
- Nicky ordered Scott a cake from Milk Bar, because there is an episode about Milk Bar on a Netflix series that Scott likes. Very romantic. And delicious. Glad we could be there to eat your cake, Scott.
Since we really needed to stop ditching Dyna and get back to Lucy, who was holding down Fort Dyna with Jake’s sister Emily, we had to leave Scott and the Milk Bar Cake, But before we left we ate all the cake because #nocakeleftbehind #nclb #georgebushjrjokes